Enjoy a Slimming World Barbecue
Choosing to follow a healthy living eating plan such as Slimming World does not mean having to give up the enjoyment of the weekend barbecue. Fortunately, with very little effort, you can adapt your barbecue to suit your needs and can still enjoy delicious gas or charcoal cooked food without any of the guilt.
Slimming World is a healthy eating plan that is based on making lifelong changes to ensure that you can lose weight safely and still enjoy your favourite foods. Nothing is off limits and when following the Red plan or Extra Easy plan, barbecued food can still be enjoyed.
Slimming World puts no limits on the amount of meat or fish you eat on these plans so provided you choose lean meats there is no reason why you can’t revisit the food table again and again. For those with a ferocious appetite, the red plan allows you to eat as much lean meat as you like. The Extra Easy plan is more portions based however provided you filled your plate at least a third full of salad of vegetables as well as your lean meat; you can eat without worrying about weigh in day.
It is important to be mindful of hidden saboteurs to your weight loss when attending a barbecue. Oils on salads, numerous bread buns, large slices of cheese and creamy pastas are the foods that will negatively affect your weigh in. By choosing sensible accompaniments to your barbecued meat you can eat your fill of delicious home barbecued food and not have to spend the afternoon or evening hovering over the salad bowl, trying not to look at the delicious homemade burgers, chicken pieces and kebabs that others are enjoying.
Choosing a healthier way of living doesn’t have to mean missing out on your favourite foods or avoiding social events so that you aren’t tempted to “cheat”; Slimming World is about making healthy choices, not depriving yourself.
This recipe is a great one for Slimming World followers to enjoy when at a barbecue. If using the roll as a healthy extra or “B” choice, this recipe is Syn free on a Red day or on an Extra Easy day if accompanied with salad.
Tasty Barbecue Beef Burger
- 400g of extra lean minced beef (pork or lamb mince works too but must be extra lean)
- 2 medium beaten eggs for binding
- One large onion, finely chopped
- Fresh parsley chopped (or mint if using lamb mince).
To accompany the burger:
- Thinly sliced tomatoes and red onions,
- Washed lettuce leaves.
- Lean bacon, all visible fat removed.
- 4 x medium wholemeal rolls
Not only is this recipe delicious, but it is also quick and easy to make.
- Combine the minced beef, chopped onion and herbs with the egg to bind the ingredients and shape into four burgers.
- Wrap in cling film and chill for approximately thirty minutes before adding to the barbecue.
- Turn carefully; ensuring the burger is cooked throughout.
- Add the bacon to the grill, remembering that bacon cooks very quickly on a barbecue.
- Whilst the bacon is cooking, layer up your bun with lettuce leaves, adding next the burger and topping with slice tomato and red onion. When the bacon is cooked, add this on top and close the bun.
All that remains is to enjoy a guilt-free and delicious burger.